December 5, 2014

My voice.

 

 What is the sound of your own voice?



My voice is loving and holding the words that I want to speak. 
The words I want to share. 
The words that will bring comfort and encouragement to those I love. 
It tells you that you are enough.
It criticizes when it means to heal.
It hugs and it helps.   
My voice is more than what I say. 
It is the ups. The downs.
The control. The powerlessness.
My voice is the truth even when it is unpopular. 
My voice is the one my child will remember. The voice that loved him, disciplined him, sang to him, read The Velveteen Rabbit countless time. 
My voice  is familiar to my family, to my friends. 
My voice is a window into my soul.
I cannot fake happy with my voice. I cannot fake anger. I cannot lie aloud. I cannot be who I'm not.
My voice sounds brave and sure.
As well as hazy and hesitant.
It reaches for ears to hear.
It retreats into my chest. 
My voice is who I am. 

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Mary Anne Radmacher
"My voice is born repeatedly in the fields of uncertainty." - Terry Tempest Williams

 

2 comments:

  1. Love you and your voice. It has guided me through many rough times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you! I am so very blessed to call you cousin and friend.

      Delete